One of our lovely and resourceful volunteers has had what we think is the BEST idea EVER! She has been matching healthy and nutritious recipes with the items that are in the FRESH PRODUCE BOX every week. We will be sharing them weekly beginning with last week’s recipe below. If you have any recipes to submit, please sent them or tweet us.
...And stay tuned for this week’s recipe!
White Bean and Kale Soup
Naturally vegan and gluten free.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes Servings 4 servings
Calories 327 kcal
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 small onion chopped
· 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
· 4 cups vegetable broth (see notes)
· 2 cups water
· 2 cups kale, stems removed and torn into 1” pieces or two cups baby kale chopped into 1” pieces
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, mash one can of beans in a small bowl. Add mashed beans, broth, and water to saucepan. Bring to a boil.
3. Stir in remaining beans (left whole), kale, 1 tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer about 20 minutes, until kale is tender.
4. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper and serve.
Chicken broth may be substituted for the vegetable broth.
Black beans may be substituted for the cannellini beans
Created by MEGGAN HILL https://www.culinaryhill.com (posted with permission)